Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Autumn Blahs

I hate the Fall.

There, I said it.

I think most people up here would say that fall is their favorite season, what with all the beautiful colors and mild weather, and I concede them the point, but there is one thing that trumps all others when talking about autumn. I get sick. All the time. And I hate it.

This fall has been no exception. I've battled the occasional cold, a wicked bad sinus infection, and a bout with some intestinal bug. Add the facts that a). I'm also dealing with my continual back issues, and b). Kelly has also been sick this fall and you have the makings of one crappy season.

With the two of us battling our illnesses, stresses at home and work, and my physical limitations, it's been hard to do a lot of good cooking. There has been too many trips to Chipotle, pizza ordering, and nights where we just "fend for ourselves" which usually just ends up with me eating a bowl of Count Chocula for dinner.

The few times were we have put together a nice meal, we have gone the route of comfort food, and lately that has meant soups and sandwiches. Thanks to HWG friend Jessica, we got a fantastic recipe for a nice butternut squash soup...


< shameless self-promotion >be sure to check it out and add your own recipes on our Facebook page under the "discussions" tab  < /shameless self-promotion>


...that we paired with sandwiches of prosciutto and goat cheese with arugula and fig jam on ciabatta rolls (yes, they were as awesome as they sound).

Now that we are mostly on the mend, we have some pretty hearty meals in the works for the colder weather to come. Be on the look out for more posts with stick-to-your-ribs recipes to help you through the winter months!

1 comments:

Gillian O'Daniel

Now I want a sandwich. THAT one! I fully blame you for the Publix run I'm about to go on. Something tells me my husband will thank you later!

Halfway Gourmet   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP