Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Trials & Tribulations of a Man in the Kitchen

I'm terrified of cooking.

Do I cook? Yes. Do I like to cook? Yes, I love the feeling of creating something delicious from a hodgepodge of different ingredients. So why am I scared of cooking? It's because, well, my wife is just so damn good at it. Kelly has that innate ability to look in the fridge, pick out a few things, go to the cupboard and grab some spices, mix it all together and make something phenomenal. That, my friends, is not me. If I go to the cupboard in search of a meal, I'll end up with a bowl of cereal for dinner (which has happened).

No, I'm a recipe cook. You know the kind...anxiously locked in to a recipe, carefully measuring, never (and I mean NEVER) straying from the print on the card, and dirtying most of the dishes, pots, and pans in the kitchen (if you happen to live with a recipe cook, I am sorry...truly I am). Most of what I make turns out pretty well, but we all have our failures; the worst of which landed me in the hospital with a partially reattached thumb tip (buy me a drink, set aside an hour, and I'll tell you the story).

Lately, I have grown a bit in my culinary confidence. This summer I have made my own hot sauce and cooked scallops for the first time while making (very) minor tweaks the those recipes. I'm not going to win The Next Food Network Star any time soon, but if I make something that Kelly and I truly like that's a big enough victory for me.

1 comments:

Marni

kevin, reading your post made me laugh because i think you and jeff must be the same person....he tries really hard and mostly the food comes out good, but it makes me so aggravated because every single measuring cup and pot and spoon and mixing bowl has been used and is left on the counter for me to clean, and even for recipes he has made millions of times (belgian waffles for example), he needs to look at the recipe card and never strays from exact measurements. I think its great that he tries, but the only thing i ask is that HE LEARN HOW TO DO DISHES AS HE COOKS like i do! then as things are used, they end up in the dishwasher so it doesnt look like a tornado hit my kitchen.

Halfway Gourmet   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP