Saturday, August 21, 2010

The simpler the better

I used to think that good cooking required fancy techniques and ingredients that I could hardly pronounce let alone cook with (what the hell is xanthum gum and what would I even do withit?). As I've become a better more seasoned cook, I've found that keeping it simple usually garners the results that I am looking for and produces better, tastier food.

Case in point: the great polenta debacle of aught nine. I had found a recipe that I thought was going to be amazing - a red wine and mushroom polenta - that was going to blow Kelly away and make me some culinary hero for months to come. As is turns out this experiment was a disaster before it began- a multi-step, complicated recipe using a main ingredient I have never used before. If you have never used polenta, it's one of those things that you really can't walk away from. It requires constant attention and monitoring; or maybe I shouldn't have dumped it all in the water at once (probably a little of both). To make a long and frustrating story shorter and with kid-friendly language (I assure I was using none of that in the kitchen
that day), what I was left with was a purple clump of inedible mash. It was horrifying. Of course, Kelly, the saint that she is, took a few polite bites before excusing herself to make some peanut butter toast. A culinary hero, I was not.

Fast forward to Thursday's dinner. Ingredient list:
  • Chicken.
  • Home-made spice rub.
  • Fresh sweet corn at the peak of its season from a farm we could have driven to.
  • A compound butter made from the spices in our cabinet.
  • A hot grill.
  • A beautiful summer night.
  • An adorable wife
Simple, easy, and delicious. In a word, "perfect." It's not to say that I won't try polenta again (I am both stubborn and Italian) but I now know that sometimes keeping it simple is the much more satisfying route.




4 comments:

Jamey, Lettie, Ansley and Stephen

we wont even eat corn outside of season ( I mean as a stand alone dish). It just tastes so good right now!

Kevin

I hear ya! There is nothing better than good ole sweet corn and butter.

Jessica

Love grilled corn on the cob.

I hope you don't give up on polenta, but I'm totally biased because it's a staple in my house.

Melanie {The Tiny Tudor}

I can never make polenta either... it's on my FAIL list (along with eggplant and anything that involves baking...)!

Halfway Gourmet   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP